Wednesday 30 May 2012

Learning to Swim, again

I've decided to take on a 'Give-it-a-try-tri', a small triathlon for beginners. It consists of a 400m swim, a 10k bike, and a 2.5k run. The bike and the run, that I can conquer, not a problem. I've been running and biking for a years now, all good there. Swimming scares the shit out of me. Seriously. Ok, I may be exaggerating, I can keep myself afloat with a noodle or life jacket and I'm pretty good at treading water but that doesn't get you to the finish line in Lake Ontario. I asked if I could bring my noodle, no response.

I grew up in land locked Saskatchewan, the lakes were too cold and pools weren't really on my radar. I tried swimming lessons with other kids but decided to retire at age 7.  Nothing too sporty was really my thing. I only played softball to get my Dairy Queen treat after the game.  I've never been a fan of balls flying at my face anyway. Mainly because I knew I'd never be able to catch them.  I finally, and thankfully, discovered the value of fitness in my mid 20's when the pints and fries at Louis' Pub on campus finally caught up to me. And when my family doctor said, "Maybe you could take up running?" Point taken.

Spring 2012 Age 30ish, out of retirement


So I dove back in to lessons this spring. First, I had to get my eyelashes tinted to avoid the racoon look in the pool, a beauty must, thank you Natalia! Then I found a suit to fit my long torso, not the most fun I've had in a day, but I ended up with a pretty cute one, if you're in to the reptilian look.  Back to the lessons: myself and five other adults learning how to be kids again. And learning how to move my arms in one direction, my legs in another while breathing underwater. Right. Arms and legs got moving together pretty well, but its the breath that has proved to be the most challenging. As an actor my breath connects me to my emotions, I am my breath, when you breathe you can do anything. That all goes out the window when my head goes underwater. But I keep going back for more! What did my mom always say to me, practise makes perfect?

Ok then, here goes.

This was written in my Progress Report at the end of the 8 week session:

"Nice swimming Tricia. 
Your strokes look great and 
endurance improved a lot. 
Keep it up and have a great summer"

It felt like I was 7 years old again!

Happy Swimming until next time
tbxo




No comments:

Post a Comment