Friday 12 October 2012

Learning to be Patient

We survived it. The contractor survived it. The dog and the marriage survived it. A 10+ week kitchen renovation, the original quote stated a 5 week timeline, so yeah, right on schedule. Early on in the project I read an article where the writer said she hated when people complained about their renovations during dinner parties. I vowed to never become that person: 'It's taking sooo long, it's sooo messy, I miss my sink!'  It did take a very long time, it was messy and I missed my sink most of all. But why complain? I chose to do this. I chose to turn my home into a construction zone for the summer and we had the means to do it. Bailey the Dog made the most of it. Every morning when Michel and Vilma arrived Bailey would spend at least 10 minutes saying hello and getting all of her toys out to show them, in case they forgot what they looked like from the previous day. I made the most of learning to be patient. A very hard task, but alas, a lesson worth learning. Around the start of the project I started a free 21 day meditation challenge run by the Chopra Centre. They email a guided meditation everyday for 21 days. Easy. Sort of. I would forget a day here and there, but I learned, slowly, to not worry about it and hop back on when I could. I learned that by incorporating even a few moments of stillness before the craziness of the day began set me up for a good day. By good I mean calm and able to make a decision without crying in the middle of the night. I was still learning after all.

Through this project, I realized that my husband is one very patient man, probably the most patient person I know. At the beginning I remember saying, 'When this is done, when Michel leaves for good I want it all done! I want the window and door replaced in the kitchen. I want all the baseboards completely finished. When he walks out that door on the last day 5 weeks from now (ha!) I dont want to see him again!' Now not because I didn't like him, I like him very much, but that's how I had envisioned this project going, wrapped up in a tidy bow. All clean and ready to make the perfect dinner which then gets photographed for House and Home magazine and Lynda Reeves and Suzanne Dimma would be my new best friends. The husband set me straight: 'It doesn't work like that. It'll be done when it's done. Patience, babe, patience' Hmmm. I tried my best to work with that and continued to work at meditating everyday. Sleep came a little bit easier and the job continued until it was finished. The new window and door are coming in a few weeks and Michel is returning to do some stuff that couldn't get finished for many reasons that were beyond everyone's control. And there it is, the magic word: control. Letting go, trusting in our decisions and trusting the people by your side. Having Patience.

Here are the pics and a recipe that requires no patience at all, whip it up and enjoy guilt free!







Peachy Crispy Crumble: Baking Brains and Braun style
Inspired by: Peach Pecan Crisp featured on CBC's Steven and Chris

Ingredients
1 tbsp unsalted butter 
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 cup pecan pieces, chopped
2/3 cup spelt flour
2/3 cup coconut sugar
2/3 cup rolled oats 
1/2 cup unsalted butter, soft
pinch salt
3-4 fresh or thawed peaches, sliced - enough to make a nice, healthy layer on the bottom of the pan (you can also use drained canned fruit and it works just as well! Use 2 14oz. cans if going this route)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in 8 X 8-inch baking dish by putting the butter in the baking dish and into the warming oven for a few minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons coconut sugar. Set aside.
2. To make crumble topping, in a large bowl, mix pecan pieces, spelt flour, the remaining coconut sugar, rolled oats, soft butter, and salt until no dry flour is left. Mixture will be crumbly.
3. Slice peaches and spread them out in baking dish over melted butter and coconut sugar combo. Do not stir. Sprinkle vanilla over peaches. Sprinkle crumble mixture evenly over peaches. 
4. Bake about 25 minutes, until crumble is lightly browned and fruit juices are bubbly. Makes 1 Peachy Crispy Crumble 




be patient until next time
tbxo

No comments:

Post a Comment